Be careful about what goes down your drain to keep you away from calling a plumber. Here are some ways to treat and prevent these issues using you already have at home.
- From time to time pour a little bleach into the sink and let it sit for at least an hour before you run down water in the sink.
- Use drain screens to keep hair, soap scum, and other solids from making their way into the drain.
- Clean the sink stoppers regularly.
- Never dump paint, paint thinners, and other chemicals down the drains.
- Avoid pouring down the drain cold water. This will keep the grease and oil in solid state.
- Never pour grease down the drain, and clean greasy pots and pans as thoroughly as possible with a paper towel before cleaning in hot water in the sink.
- Pour boiling hot water down your drains once a week. This will help to melt and flush away oils and grease.